Thursday, February 7, 2008

La Fin Du Jour (The End of the Day)



Le Photographs.










Un verre de vin pour Maman. As most of you probably know, I brought Maman with me to France. She is here in my heart, in every moment, in every step and in every breath I take. We shared a deep love of France, always...she introduced me to the country, the people, the language, the wine, and to Paris. I cannot look out a window, walk down a street, go to a café , go to l'Institut--and not feel her right here with me. After two years without her, the loss of her in my life has never felt greater to me than right now. I would give anything to share this joyous time in my life with her, but I know without a doubt that she is here with me. So tonight, as I sat on my balcony at the end of the day, I poured her a glass of wine and toasted her. Salut chere maman, je t'aime.
_____________________________________________
Il fait beau aujourd'hui (it was a beautiful day today), and we had a respite from the language lab! Un petit problem with le chef, Nathalie, le grand fromage (the big cheese)! At lunch today the first course served was salmon. Those of you who know me well know that je déteste le poisson (I hate fish!). My professeur, Aude, was sitting next to me at lunch, and I told her (en français) I didn't like fish and didn't know what to do because I didn't want to offend le grand fromage (who visits each table during each meal to make sure everything is as it should be). Aude said (en français), "You have bigger problems...the main dish is also fish!". She was kind enough to speak to a petite fromage, and we soon had a visit from Nathalie. Zoot alors! She said (en français),
"But why didn't you tell me you don't eat fish! I asked you on the first day of school if you had any allergies! I asked you if you were a vegetarian! You said nothing!"
Mais oui! I didn't understand what she was asking! (And, besides, she didn't ask me if I liked fish!) It was the first day of school! She whisked my assiette (plate) away and returned with an omelette and a tomato salad. Better to offend le directeur than le chef!


Now, let me tell you about my class. There are 80 students, more or less, in all at l'Institut. We are all broken up into different levels (I am "debutante deux"), and there are 10 or less students in each class. In my class, there are 10. Moi, naturellement, and 2 women from Denmark, Vibike and Karen (who lives in NY); Diane from Gloucestershire, England; 2 from Australia, Elizabeth and Matthew; Michael from San Francisco; Hugh (American, living in Provence), Yuko from Japan (also living in France); and Marie from Portland Oregon. I couldn't imagine that I could have landed in a nicer group of people. Despite our differences in languages, in ages, in backgrounds, etc., we have bonded incredibly in just four days.

I went into le village after school to pick up a few groceries and took a picture to give you a street scene. I love the moments when I am living as a French person...shopping in la boulangerie (the bakery), le marché (the market), climbing the steps to my own apartment...

The last picture is one of me (and Michael, from Ireland). Thought I should include at least one of myself!

(To all of you who have left comments in my blog or sent me e-mails...merci beaucoup! I have loved your notes and e-mails! It makes me feel like we're all on this journey together. Les vieux amis sont les meilleurs amis...(Old friends are the best friends.)

(I know there are two pictures of the wine glass...I can't figure out how to delete the second photo! So, just imagine that one picture is mom's wine glass, and the other is mine...)

Bon soir!

6 comments:

Scarlett and Annabelle Darling said...

I felt choked up reading about your mom, I know she's there with you, smiling all the while, thrilled that you're doing this.

I'm glad you didn't have to eat the fish! And here I thought I was the only Cape Codder who dind't like fish!

Loved the photos - so nice to see your happy face!
Love, Candy xo

nannette said...

La,
It made me happy/sad but I know Mom is there and so incredibly proud of you for living your dream.
All I could think about the fish was our plane ride to France that you got stuck with the fish. Why you?
What a cute town so French, like you.
Miss you!

Angel's Hope said...

Laura,

Every night I look forward to checking in to see what you've done during the day and feel as though I've shared a bit of France with you.

I'm so happy that you have this opportunity. I know how much you've looked forward to being there and yes, your mother is truly sharing it right alongside you.

Bonne nuit, mon ami.

Martha

Anonymous said...

I'm at a loss for words except to say that of course she is there with you.
All those interesting people with their different stories - if you didn't learn a word of French it would still be worth it.
Loved the story of the the fish and the imperious grand fromage!
love, J

CuznDon said...

May your sojourn be full of wonder and awe! I slept through two alarms, too, about a month ago. The bus driver misses the bus! I was able to call the owner in time for him to make the run. Plugged ears (remnants from a cold), and too early a morning were the culprits. Missing your Mom with you. Such a fun Auntie. Seems you continue her dream. XO

Anonymous said...

Hi La,
I'm reading your blog tonight thinking of your mom, of course. Then I read what you've written about her and the experience of being in France and it brings tears to my eyes. I miss her every day as so many of us do...but I know she is there with you enjoying every minute of this experience. Acrons don't fall far from the tree afterall.
I am so envious! You are doing exactly what you should be doing right now and I'm so glad you are making it happen.
Thank you for writing the blog for all of us stateside! Love you. Miss you. Mean it!
Jeanne