Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Préparer à aller (Preparing to go)







The Bay of Villefranche



Following the suggestion of my friend, Candy Hammond, I have decided to become a blogger! It seems like a great way to share my adventure and photos with you along the way as I prepare to spend 6 weeks in Villefranche-sur-mer.

The title of my blog, La Vie En Rose, literally means "The Life In Pink". This is the way I like to look at life, and I think it will be a particularly lovely shade of pink in the south of France... I thought of naming it La Belle Époque (literally The Beautiful Era), because that too seemed like an appropriate name as I embark on what I know will be a life-changing experience. Somehow though, perhaps being more sensitive as I approach 50, it sounded a little too mature (it is also sometimes loosely translated to The Golden Age).

Beginning February 4, I will be a full-time student at the Institut de Français in Villefranche, France (the photo above is a view from the balcony at the school). This is a total French language immersion program--8.5 hours a day, five days a week, with occasional cultural excursions on evenings and weekends. I will have breakfast, lunch and tea at school every day, and during those times we will converse (only) in French with fellow students and teachers. I will live in my own apartment, not far from the school. The village of Villefranche is perched on the edge of the Bay of Villefranche, overlooking Cap Ferrat on the Mediterranean (the French Riviera...ooo la la!). Here, the alps run down to the sea, and the village is built into the mountain. Lots of steps! (I'm considering this a 6-week gym membership as well...) Here's a link to my school: http://www.institutdefrancais.com/index.html

So, now I've officially posted my first entry in my first blog! Instead of clogging your e-mail, I'll be blogging you as the adventure unfolds. Thanks for coming along with me!

I have miles to go before I sleep (on the plane) so will sign off this first post. A bientôt!

6 comments:

Scarlett and Annabelle Darling said...

Yay! I now have another blog to be addicted to! :) I am SO envious that on your first posting you already figured out hyperlinks - it took me weeks!

I cannot wait to follow along with you and read and see (through photos) all you're doing.

I just won't be responding in French :)
Have a fabulous time, and if this blog turns into a best-selling book, I want a shout-out in the forward!
Love, Candy xo

jobr said...

All I can say is my heart goes out to you as you embark on this grueling adventure. And I'd like to paraphrase Steve Martin who famously said, "Those French are crazy! They have a different word for everything!"
Love, J

Anonymous said...

Bon chance cousin Laura

In France They Kiss On Main Street
by Joni Mitchell
Downtown
My darling dime store thief
In the War of Independence
Rock 'n' roll rang sweet as victory
Under neon signs
A girl was in bloom
And a woman was fading
In a suburban room
I said take me to the dance
Do you want to dance?
I love to dance
And I told him They don't take chances
They seem so removed from romance
They've been broken in churches and schools
And molded to middle class circumstance
And we were rolling rolling rock 'n' rolling

Downtown
The dance halls and cafes
Feel so wild you could break somebody's heart
Just doing the latest dance craze
Gail and Louise
In those push-up brassieres
Tight dresses and rhinestone rings
Drinking up the band's beers
Young love was kissing under bridges
Kissing in cars kissing in cafes
And we were walking down Main Street
Kisses like bright flags hung on holidays
In France they kiss on Main Street
Amour, mama, not cheap display
And we were rolling, rolling, rock 'n' rolling

Downtown
In the pinball arcade
With his head full of pool hall pitches
And songs from the hit parade
He'd be singing "Bye Bye Love"
While he's racking up his free play
Let those rock 'n' roll choir boys
Come and carry us away
Sometimes Chickie had the car
Or Ron had a car
Or Lead Foot Melvin with his hot-wire head
We'd all go looking for a party
Looking to raise Jesus up from the dead
And I'd be kissing in the back seat
Thrilling to the Brando-like things that he said
And we'd be rolling rolling rock 'n' rolling

Copyright © 1975; Crazy Crow Music
Printed from the official Joni Mitchell website: JoniMitchell.com
.

Anonymous said...

one more, from Court and Spark:

Free Man In Paris
by Joni Mitchell

The way I see it he said
You just can't win it
Everybody's in it for their own gain
You can't please 'em all
There's always somebody calling you down
I do my best
And I do good business
There's a lot of people asking for my time
They're trying to get ahead
They're trying to be a good friend of mine

I was a free man in Paris
I felt unfettered and alive
There was nobody calling me up for favors
And no one's future to decide
You know I'd go back there tomorrow
But for the work I've taken on
Stoking the star maker machinery
Behind the popular song

I deal in dreamers
And telephone screamers
Lately I wonder what I do it for
If l had my way
I'd just walk through those doors
And wander
Down the Champs Elysées
Going cafe to cabaret
Thinking how I'll feel when I find
That very good friend of mine

I was a free man in Paris
I felt unfettered and alive
Nobody was calling me up for favors
No one's future to decide
You know I'd go back there tomorrow
But for the work I've taken on
Stoking the star maker machinery
Behind the popular song

Copyright © 1973; Crazy Crow Music

Elizabeth said...

Hi La!
i am so excited for you!! I was not aware that this was on your horizon. I know that you will make the most of every moment and I am so glad that you sent me a link so I can follow along!!
Big Hugs!
Elizabeth

nannette said...

La,
All I can say , to quote the famous speaker, Brianna Adrianne, is "Wow!"
We'll miss you. Be safe.
Je T'aime, Nannette